George Washington Buford and his wife Annie moved to Tombstone in 1880. While they lived here they had several children but, unfortunately, three of the children died of disease and are now buried in the city cemetery. The Buford family left Tombstone in 1888 but the Buford house remains today. Because it is a large house it has been used as a boarding house, lodge, or bed-and-breakfast over the years, though it is a private residence today.
The Buford house was once featured on the History Channel as one of the most haunted locations in Tombstone and that is a well-deserved reputation. It isn’t certain why this particular spot is so haunted, but maybe the spirits of the three Buford children who died here are still present. Maybe some geological feature connected to the silver mines in this area channels paranormal activity to this one spot. Whatever the reason, the Buford house seems to be more haunted than other locations around Tombstone
One of the Ghost Tour drivers several years ago reported that his young daughter spent the night with a friend in the Buford house. She said that late that night she saw colored lights flashing across the walls of her room like an automobile was driving by on a street outside, but she was on the side of the house away from the street. She also reported feeling very calm and peaceful while in the presence of those lights, not frightened as someone may think
Paranormal touches seem to be rather common around the Buford house. When it was a bed-and-breakfast, guests would often report feeling a cat rubbing against their legs at the breakfast table, but there would be nothing there. Guests would also report feeling something brush against their skin as they walked across the porch in front of the Buford house. In fact, some people who walk past the Buford house on the street feel something brush past them.
Not far from the Buford House is the location where George Daves took his own life in 1888, which I tell about during the ghost tour. His spirit is restless and figures into an interesting ghost story that takes place in front of the Buford House.
The Buford House is located at 113 E Safford Street in Tombstone. While it is no longer a bed-and-breakfast, guests may want to drive by and take a look at this haunted place. The Goodenough Mine trolley tour drives by the Buford House where the guide shares a bit of information about the house. The Tombstone After Dark Ghost Tour stops in front of the Buford house and the guide tells several interesting ghost stories about this location.